Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Let's Get Political

Before I scare everyone away with this title, and worse, this photo, let me explain: I am NOT going to try to sway your political beliefs in this post. My intent is merely to raise awareness of our growing political problem.



I am going to try very hard not to get up on a soap box here, as much as I would like to scream from the rooftops "WHAT IS GOING ON HERE AMERICA?" I will refrain.

The beauty of our democratic nation, is that everyone here is free to vote for whomever they choose. I am not about to tell you which person is better, or say that the other guy is a complete meathead who wouldn't know his ass from the war in the middle east. What I am here to do is beg.

If you could see me right now, you would see that I am on my hands and knees. I am begging. Pleading with the people of America...specifically those of you in my generation (the 30-somethings and younger). Now, stop texting for a minute and read carefully.

Put down your video games once in a while. Turn off American Idol. Walk away from that last shotglass. I am talking to YOU! Pick up a newspaper (yes, they still make those). I don't care if you even read it online. Just pick a website other than TMZ or Fark. Expand your damn mind.

What I am trying to tell you is that slowly but surely, our nation is getting dumber and dumber.(Trust me, I see evidence of it every day).  As a matter of fact, it's not even that slow anymore. We are a nation of pop culture and carelessness. People vote for the individual who makes MAJOR decisions about the state of our country and the world economy based on popularity, skin color and other ridiculous factors.

Think about the company you work for. If you could CHOOSE the CEO of that company...how would you do it? You would want to see everyone's resume, know their extensive background, see what they have done with other companies they have run, see how they treated their employees, etc. You wouldn't simply pick someone for such a highly powered position just because someone else said they were awesome, or because they have the same skin color as you, or any other superficial reason. Why? BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE CRAZY.

The presidential elections aren't for another year. You have plenty of time to start reading up on each potential candidate, what they stand for, how reliable their word is, and how successful...or UNSUCCESSFUL they have been at their job. For extra credit, try picking up something called a history book. Look at where this country originated....and how it's progressed. You might be startled to see some similarities in our crumbling society and other regimes throughout history (Stalin, Hitler...no  I am not joking. Don't believe me? Do a little research).

Most importantly....know what your government is doing. Know how it affects every aspect of your life. Know what it can control constitutionally and what it cannot. Know what the government has been good at historically, and what it has failed at. If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it. Let's make sure everyone in our age group is sufficiently educated on the FACTS...not just what people tell you to believe. You can always TiVo Jersey Shore and watch it later. Right now, we have a country to save.

4 comments:

  1. Bravo! Well written! In fact, non-divisive...non-partisan. There are some professional journalists who could benefit from learning how to not allow personal, political, leanings to seep through their words, as you have done here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Teresa! I tried REALLY hard not to let my opinion get in the way. That's not to say I may not share them gently in some other posts (haha) but more important to me than getting people to agree with my opinion is getting people to care about politics in general.
    Thanks for reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job! I am so incredibly anti-politics that it's not even funny. It disturbs even me how little I am interested. I just get so tired of the lies and the backstabbing and the drama that I can't stand it. So I don't pay attention. I've been trying to convince myself to get involved and informed more, but I just can't bring myself to do it. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy-
    I totally understand. Thats the point that I am trying to make here is that politics now is just so overly corrupted that we need to bring in some people who are outside the box if you will. An independent type candidate who has some shred of moral fiber left. I realize this is sort of an oxymoron asking for honest politicians but I think if enough people are fed up with the bullshit, they can band together and bring about REAL change, and get us back to the Americans first, government second and money dead last frame of mind.

    ReplyDelete