Sunday, May 22, 2011

Got Block?


I am currently suffering from writer's block. Or as I like to call it, "mental constipation". I have the urge to write, but no specific ideas on what to write about. As much as I want it to, nothing comes out. Unfortunately they don't have Ex-Lax or Colace for the brain. I just want to get all the words out that are just clogged up in there.



Boy this got graphic quickly...

Do you ever experience a total writer's block? Have you often gone for long periods of time without writing? I once went several years without writing, and now again find it cathartic...but have reached a point where its been so long since I wrote regularly that when I sit to write regularly, I find it challenging.

How have you been able to overcome your writer's block? Do you have any tricks or tips or exercises that you feel have helped get you back on track?  There are some people who believe that writer's block is simply a myth to cover laziness. Do you agree with that?

I would like to hear some comments and suggestions, not only to help me get back in the flow of things if you will, but also because I like to know that I am not alone when it comes to this. I want to hear your advice!

2 comments:

  1. Yep. It's happened to me. Those are usually the days that I ended up posting a "random thoughts" post or just a bunch of pictures or something silly like that. I've heard other bloggers say that when they have a bunch of ideas, they start a bunch of drafts - then they can pull up one of those when necessary and finish/publish them.

    I already have my idea for tomorrow, which NEVER happens, so I'm writing it tonight and then posting it tomorrow. Yay me!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha good for you Amy, that's awesome. Way to plan ahead! I had three days worth of posts I wrote in one night...then got into brain fart mode and couldn't write anything else, so my "stockpile" was promptly depleted! I really should start carrying a notebook or something because I always get random ideas at work when I am too busy to post!

    ReplyDelete