Monday, May 16, 2011

Getting to know "Alexa"

For those of you who don't know, or  who are not a serious blogger, there is a company called Alexa that in short, basically ranks all of the websites on the internet (or at least the important ones anyway, haha) by order of traffic to that site.



When you go to Alexa, you can enter in the URL of any website, and it will tell you the ranking of that site out of ALL the other websites in the world. If it's too new, or doesn't have enough traffic, then Alexa will tell you there is no data.

What does this mean? It's a fantastic tool for anyone who is a serious blogger, or hosts their own website.

I had no idea about Alexa ratings until I started researching, and Dan at Single Dad Laughing filled me in. It's a fantastic tool to track my blog's progress, in addition to my Google Analytics, and Blogger stats.

One thing that Dan also mentioned in his post series, was that if you could get your website into the top million....that you were doing amazingly well. When I mentioned a few days ago that I was excited my blog was in the top 11 million, I meant it. I started out with no data, then I was at 23 million. Less than a week later I was at 11million, and now I am approaching 7 million. That means out of ALL the websites in the world, I am currently ranked about 7 million. This may seem like a high number, and it is. Now look at it this way, my blog moved up 4 MILLION places in just a few days. Keep in mind that I just started writing again about a month ago. My goal is to be in the top 5 million by the end of June (as you get lower and lower in ranking, it gets slower and slower because of all the views the top sites get).

Do you have a blog or a website? What is your current rank? Were you surprised when you found out?
Feel free to share your thoughts and suggestions for success below.
Thanks everyone for reading!

3 comments:

  1. Holy crap....I'm now at 3,703,618!

    I was around 23mil for a long time, then it started jumping. This morning it was around 5mil.

    We're going to be huge! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm shocked by how quickly it's going up. Today, I'm at 1,280,138. I'm closing in on that one million mark!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice going ladies! My numbers are getting better all the time. It's so exciting. Christi you're real close!
    Virtual high fives to you both!

    ReplyDelete