Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Beauty is the Beast


Ok, so I might have a slight problem with makeup.

Those of you who know me well, know that I love makeup. I have quite alot of it for someone with only one face. I love watching the YouTube makeup tutorials. MissChevious, LetzMakeup, Makeup by Tiffany D, and all the others brighten my days...and my eyelids. Ulta and Sephora are treacherous lairs...places where I can suddenly spend embarassing sums in one trip. It used to be only cheap drugstore makeup, but now that I have dabbled in the wonderful world of fine cosmetics (I blame this on working for The Penthouse Group in NY where I was learned in the art of makeup, and the proper tools!) I have ventured into the land of MAC, Smashbox and Urban Decay, among others.



Now, here's where things get interesting.  While I do love makeup, everything from the colors, to the blending, the smoky eye to the lip liners to the primer potions, I am someone who is perfectly content walking out the door with nothing but chapstick on. I am definitely not a confident person by nature, and makeup DOES seem to make me more confident with my appearance. However, I feel strongly that people should not rely solely on makeup to make them happy with themselves. Is it really just a mask? I have heard makeup use referred to as "painting a rusty fence"...insinuating that the person is ugly and imperfect and makeup does little to hide it. What is wrong with a girl who likes to play around with makeup? Doesn't everyone like to feel the touch of glamour every once in a while? Who doesn't like to feel their best?

My hope is that girls and women learn that while makeup can be a great accessory, it is important to love yourself for who you are, and use cosmetics to enhance your natural beauty. Is it ok to go wild with black eyeshadow or heavy fuschia lipstick? Sure, if that's what you're into, but the important message here is to not let yourself get lost behind the mask.  The most important tool for beauty you won't find at any makeup counter, or in any Caboodle. We all need to remember that everyone is beautiful in one way or another, and embrace yourself...never let ANYONE tell you that you're not good enough/thin enough/ pretty enough.

Makeup is fun, but it should never be used as a shield or a security blanket to hide yourself from the world, nor should anyone ever feel like they have to disguise their real self.

Beauty is in all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment